It’s been ages since I made a proper quilt. .
I set out to draft my own pattern with my own measurements from a picture I had saved on my iPad .Not sure from where .It was more of a ‘making as I go along ‘ kind of project and I struggled with it. I did not know what size would make a big enough quilt for a baby.
Then I saw the mod cot quilt pattern for sale on the instagram account of one of my favourite online fabric store stitchbird.co.nz. .Since it looked very similar to the quilt I was trying to make, I decided to purchase the pattern.
Having the instructions on hand, really did help.
I used the fabric I had recently purchased with the fabric that Shanna gave me.These are all free Spirit fabrics, one is Tula Pink and the other I forget. I was surprised that the colours all from the old and new fabric went together so well.
Along with the pattern,Lori also sent me the cutting layout on a fat quarter which was so helpful.
The blocks were fairly quick to put together. It was after I put the blocks together I realised that I did not have enough fabric for backing. or for binding.
I resisted the temptation to use a Minky fabric as backing, like I did for previous baby quilts I ‘d made.
Ordered a metre of fabric for the backing, as I have only fat quarters in my stash . In my hurry to finish the quilt quickly, I did not read the pattern that said I needed 1.5 metres for the backing . So I had to improvise and make a pieced backing. A first for me.
I put it aside a bit, looked at ideas on Pinterest , most of the ideas I saw were too advanced for me and then finally, it clicked, I just cut the one metre cloth into two equal parts and cut two other co-ordinating fat quarters to add in-between.
I wanted to do the self binding for this quilt but when I did the straight row quilting, I somehow messed up. I did not think of looking up for tutorials on You tube.So went for the bias binding.
I did remember some of the lessons I learnt earlier in my quilt workshop in Kuwait about how to do the mitred corners. I machined sewed the binding too. Another first.I would have liked a better finish
I tied and hid the knots, washed in the washer and its ready to go now.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin